Monday, November 10, 2008

NUS Love Story - Part 12

The supplementary examinations came and went. We went out many times after our re-papers. The four of us: Ken, Yve, Lisa and me. Each time we went out, I would be extra careful not to see her directly into her eyes or touch her. Ken and Yve noticed that too but they did not tease me about it. They understood me. They are wonderful friends.The supplementary examinations results was released just before the new academic year start again.

Both of us passed. We went out to celebrate that very day, the three of us and Ken of course. That day also coincide with Lisa's twentieth birthday. Ken and Yve had specially arranged a bowling session in Marina South for the four of us.It was first time bowling for all of us other than Ken, the playful one. I saw a jukebox machine there. I dedicated the song Nothing is going to change my love for you to Lisa, with Ken's and Yve's support of course.

I even sang with the song to Lisa. She was quite touched and happy. Later in the evening we went to the Korean restaurant for a seafood buffet dinner. The food is ok and we had a great time. After dinner Ken brought out a cake. I brought out my present too. It was a handmade card and a framed-up sketch of her that I had drawn. She was a bit shocked to see it.

"I am really impressed Min. It's not exactly like me but I like it very much. Thank you."
After she said this, I gave a bouquet of 20 pink roses in full bloom. She looked at me sweetly and said, "This is the first time you gave me flowers."

It was quite remarkable how she remembers when did someone did what. I did not know how she did it but I guess she treasure every happy moment she has and remembers them. Ken and Yve arranged for the cake to be brought there by another friend. The friend came and joined us for dinner. That night, after cutting the cake Lisa made a wish. Ken asked her what her wish was but she shyed away.

Upon further prodding by Yve, she said, "I wish Min and I can start all over again."
I was so happy. It was quite hard to believe that she had agreed to give our relationship another try. Finally she had agreed. Ken and Yve gave her a present each. Suddenly an idea struck my mind.

"Lisa, I have one more thing for you."
"Ohh..what is it?"

She looked around, trying to find what I have for her.

"What I have is what money cannot buy. For this twentieth birthday of yours, I am giving you my heart and myself. Do you want it?"

I see a role reversal here. It was her who asked me that question about barely nine months ago.
She smiled sweetly and gave me a hug and a kiss. That was the first time I touch her after so long. It is really a 'warmth' one. I will remember every moment of it. Ken, Yve and the friend who sent the cake went back in that friend's car, deliberately leaving us behind.

I appreciated that very much. Like two new lovers, we walked clumsily to the bus-stop. I would seize any opportunity to hold her hand and she would withdraw hers after the 'obstacles' are cleared. Like new lovers who do not know what to do, we stumbled with words and actions. It was like falling in love all over again.

When second year started, we went out to the hop and jams as like last year. This time it’s the three of us. Ken, Lisa and me. Yve had gone back to NTU. Second year is busier than first year. There are more projects and most of our times are spent on tutorial and projects. We are quite busy but we still take time out to go to see shows and stroll in the parks, just Lisa and me.

One day in October we went to our usual weekend haunt and I asked Lisa, "Lisa, how much do you love me?" She was surprised at the question. She thought for a while and replied.

"When I first fell in love, it was with Roger. He left me for another 'better' person. I do not know how he measure better. But he thought he would be better with her. I see that he is someone who goes to where he thinks is better for him, quite selfish."
"The second one is the mugger I told you about. We could actually strike it off but he left me after he knew I cheated him. I guessed he must be pretty angry with me. I really have nothing against against him at all. it was me who fouled up everything."
"The third one sacrificed so much for me. He cared a lot for me too. But he died in his foolishness I think. I owed him and his family a lot. He was the only son you know. I can never forget him. "
"The last one was actually you. You had are the only one who I like right from the beginning. I sort of grew to learn to love them over a period of time. You are different. And all of them left me. But you are the one whom I left. Yet you still want to come back to me after a year. I am quite touched. You had shown me your love to be true and persistent, and I have known you more and more. More importantly, I find myself falling in love with you again. This time it's stronger and more assured. I am more confident of myself now. It is also you that I missed the most when I am not with you. Do you know?"
"Also, when I was with you, I did not think of the other guys at all. Except the one who died for me but I guess that was because of guilt.When Roger came to me again, I was happy. But I guess that was because I thought I had found a lost love again. And at that time, I was so sad that you said you want to wait. Do you know that I was very sad that you said that?"

I winced at her words. They pierced me right through my heart. I regreted what I did not do then.

"Anyway, Roger did treat me well at first. But he sort of became overly possessive and selfish later. Do you know that once he did not turn up at an appointment because one of his friend delayed him at the earlier appointment. He could have called me since he is picking me up but then he did not. I mean, if he can do that once, he could also do that again sometime later. He put his other friends before me and also he did not allow me to see some of my friends whenever our appointments clashed."
"The last straw came when I found out he cheated me again, the second time.
You know what happened after that. He made me leave him because he wants to leave me."
"In all those previous relationship, it was them who left me. I did not leave any of them except may be you. I was one who is quite contented to be loved."
"But for you, it is different. It is only after so long, almost a year for me to see that your love for me is true. That there is an assurance that you will stay with me in the long run. The chemistry between us is strong. Tell me, won't you be happy? Won't you love someone who cares so much for you? Won't you love someone who sacrificed so much for you? Won't you love someone who loves you so much?"
"Yes I will. Very much."
"Tell me, how much you love me?"
"How much? I have waited for a long time for you to come back to me. I have been through many things that teach me how to love. And I did things that only true love will do."

I stared at her. I know that this time, she has found her real love, and I mine, because in her eyes, I see true love.

The End.

No comments: