Friday, October 24, 2008

NUS LOVE STORY - PART 5

"Hi! I am Sally" I looked up and saw her. I have never seen her before.
She is tall and looked quite sophisticated too. She has quite a good figure. Her short hair looked very good with her face. She wears expensive clothes too. I was puzzled and surprised.

"Are you sure you are Sally? I've never seen you before."

"Why do you always assume I am a first year? Can't I be second year?"
I was so surprised. People always said that I had luck but I did not believe until now. Yes, I do have luck. But then, even luck also needs effort to work with it. I decided not to let that night slip by. I wanted to turn the night into a memorable night. The first night with Sally.

Sally observed that we were the only Comp Science people there. Good, we did not have to think of computers for a while. The organizer of the tour was a second year Bizad student. She tried hard to get everybody together and mix around. Of course, then two of us clicked immediately and mixing with other people was not important at all. As it was only about a month since Lisa left me, I still felt dejected and lost then. I wanted someone to talk to and someone to listen to my troubles and worries. I poured out my heart to her and she listened well. Perhaps it was also because of the sudden relieved from loneliness that I was feeling; I felt that I could talk to her like a good old friend. I told her about Lisa; about Ken; about how my studies suffered and about my army days. She was an interested listener. She was very patient and quite cultured too I think. Her actions were refined art. The way she smiled, the way she drank her cola, the way she walked, the way she laughed, the way she talked, the way she looked at me, the way she brushed her hair; they all spoke of someone with good etiquette and charged with feminism. Her voice was clear and interesting. I just love watching her and listening to her.

Like two lovers on honeymoon, we were oblivion to the outside world. We only talked to ourselves and 'took care' of our own selves. It was like a small world of our own; sitting on the coach and raveling from place to place. Each time the coach stops; we would be the last one to alight. Each time we leave a place, we would be among the first to get up the coach to look for the back seats. We had more privacy that way.

One of the places we visited was a discotheque. I was there that I discovered that she was a good dancer. It was also there that I discovered that she come from rich family; she frequented high class eating and leisure place quite often with another of her 'high' society girlfriend. She told of me of how guys at those places always wanted to know them and tried dating them too. Her girlfriend was quite game and even went out with some of them. She was a bit more conservative she said. She only went out with an engineer who was six years her senior to pub, or so she said.

The second last place we visited was the fish market. As early as three am, people already started selling and buying fresh vegetables, meat and fish there. We were led to a floating walkway across the warehouse because the whole place can be observed from there. The floating walkway was high and slippery. When the 'guide' stopped at the middle of it to explain to us the various functioning of the place, Sally held onto my elbow as if she was afraid of heights. I seized the chance too hold her hands and led her all the way until we went back to the coach. The feeling was different. With Lisa there was always a fear to be seen by her cousin and her friends. But with Sally, things were quite opposite. We ignored other undergrads who said we were 'fast'. Who cares!

The last place visited was Mount Faber. Some of the people were sleeping; some were talking; but most were buayaing I suppose. We walked to a quiet place away from the rest and settled down onto a lookout bench on a slope. It was quite far from the rest of the group. None of them can see or hear us, but we can see and hear them. Sally sat down beside me and we started talking about our childhood days. She told me about how tomboyish she was; I told her about how girlie I was too. She even told me of how once she urinated onto her flower pot when she learnt that urine can 'help' a plant to grow.

"Do you have any boyfriend before?" I asked.

She looked at me and said, "What do you think?"

"Well you certainly look good and I think you have a lot of suitors."

"Do I look that good? Anyway, there aren't many. Only a few." she replied.

"Hey, tell me why did you break up with Lisa?" I debated whether I should tell her the truth. Knowing that it was quite useless to keep the truth from her, I decided to tell her bits of it.

"I did not break up with her. She left me. She left me for her ex. That's why. “I said curtly. I was a bit angry and a bit sad.

"I just cannot comprehend why she left me so suddenly. I just could not bring her back." "If she ever come back to you, will you still want her?"

I was not so sure myself. I stared out into the horizon. The blinking lights of the ships did not tell me any answer. Neither did the blinking stars above that littered the heaven. I was confused about my own feelings towards Lisa. I was angry with her for changing and dumping me. But then I still love her. I did not know the answer to the question Sally asked.

"I suppose she would not ask me back. I still like her. But I think if she ever comes back to me, I might say 'yes'. It depends on when and why she comes back to me."

"If...say tomorrow?"

"I might."

"What if it's because her ex dump her again?"

"Then I would not."

"But what if she found out she did not love him as much as she loves you?" I was surprised at that question. I really hoped it is true. But will she? In her own words she said that she was falling in love with him again. Will she do the same for me? I did not think I can hold a candle to him at all. I 'lost' him in many ways. "Min, is the question too sensitive. You know you needn't have to answer."

"It's a case I never thought before. I don't know."

I can sense that she was a bit disappointed. I can see in her eyes that she hoped that I would say I will never go back to Lisa. But then did not want to lie to her. What else can I say? The cold morning breeze made our casual wear defenseless against the coldness. Sally folded her arms and rubbed her own elbows. She did not want to look at me. Through the sunlight that was trying to break through the horizon, I can see a sparkle in her eye. My heart just melted. I could sense that she needed someone to hold her; to prop up her lost confidence and hope. I put my arms around her shoulders, trying to shield her away from the cold breeze. She was a bit surprised; she just moved closer to me and laid her head on my shoulder.

We were silent for about a few minutes. Both of us needed one another for warmth, both kinds of warmth.
"Min, I want to tell you I like you. You don't have to feel the same."

"I...I like you too. It's just that I still cannot forget Lisa. I mean I enjoy talking to you. I enjoy being with you. I like your company. I really hope we can be better friends and perhaps, special friends."

"Really?" her face lit up.

"Yes, I want to give us a try. Will you..." She does not need words to communicate her answer and feelings. She turned around and gave me a 'side' hug with a quick peck on the cheek. I was elated. I felt so wonderful. Never has anyone kissed me so suddenly. I felt safe and secured too. She semi-snuggled on the bench and rested her head on my lap. I looked at her contented look and was very happy. I played with her short hair and also fingered with her bracelet. We did not need any words to communicate feelings. Our touches were electrified and deliberated.

Morning has just broken. A new day, a new chapter waited us.

No comments: